Justice Verma Committee Report On Fundamental Duties Education
On 21 July 1998, Government o f India announced the setting up of a Committee Vide Order No. 16-23\98-Sch.1, “to work out a strategy and methodology of operationalizing a countrywide programme for teaching Fundamental Duties in educational institution as a measure of in-service training with following Terms of References”:
- To develop a package for teaching Fundamental Duties at primary, secondary, senior secondary and university level.
- To decide the activities as part of curriculum and co-curricular activities.
- To review the existing programme already being implemented by the NCERT under the National Curricular Framework and need for identifying additional input into it.
- To develop programme packages for pre-service/in-service training of teachers at various levels.
- To develop a separate package for thee training citizens through non-formal education/adult education programme/media (print, electronic, etc.)
The Committee was comprised of 6 members. The committee was headed by Justice Shri J.S. Verma (Former Chief Justice of India and then Chairman of Citizenship Development Society). The composition of the Committee was as follows:
|1||Justice J.S. Verma (Former Chief Justice of India)||Chairman|
|2||Dr. L.M Singhvi||Member|
|3||Dr. Karan Singh||Member|
|4||Dr. Subhash C. Kashyap||Member|
|5||Dr. J.S. Rajput||Member till 30 June’99 & Member Secretary from July 1999.|
|6||Dr. A.K. Sharma||Member Secretary till 30 June’99 and Member with effect from July 1999|
The committee submitted a interim report on 30th January 1999 and the Final Report on 31st October 1999.
The Salient Recommendation of the committee were: -Link